Thursday, April 30, 2009

MAMMA'S HOMEMADE BISCUITS

This is a recipe for my mother's homemade biscuits. When we would go back to visit when our kids were little, she would make homemade biscuits and gravy every morning for us and also bacon or sausage to go with them. Everyone that ever ate her biscuits said that they would melt in your mouth. You could easily eat two or three without even realizing you had eaten that many.

When K got married we sent relatives and friends recipe cards for them to write down their favorite recipe for her. K requested on the one sent to her that she send her biscuit recipe. She sent the recipe in a letter and the card and told me to write it on the card because her hand writing was not good enough.

Well I lost the letter and never wrote it on the card. But since I am decluttering the house getting it ready to list, I found the letter in some old papers. So,I am posting it on my blog in case it gets lost again.

MAMMA'S BISCUIT RECIPE

2 CUPS SELF RISING FLOUR
1/2 CUP SHORTENING
1 TABLESPOON BAKING POWDER
ENOUGH BUTTERMILK TO MAKE A SOFT DOUGH.
ROLL OUT AND CUT THEM
YOU CAN FREEZE THEM. SHE ALSO SAYS YOU CAN MAKE THEM WITH SWEET MILK BUT THEY ARE NOT AS GOOD.

She wrote on the recipe, shortening. In later years she used Crisco, but for many years she used lard.

I cannot tell you how many times I sat and watched her make these over the years. Because of course she made them for us also when we were growing up.


Also the ones in the picture are not of hers but I thought I should post a picture. Hers were always so smooth on top not sure how she managed to make them that way.

1 comment:

  1. Does she say the oven temp or how long? I'm going to try again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete