Friday, March 20, 2009

HAMBURGER SOUP

1 lb. ground beef, or more to suit you
2 or 3 medium potatoes, peeled, medium diced
½ cup diced onion
2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules, or 2 cubes
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cans mixed vegetables, or any kind and amount you'd like to add
1 or 2 cans diced tomatoes

If I have canned beef stock or broth or leftover broth I use it in addition to or instead of the bouillon.
Brown ground beef and onion in a large pot or dutch oven.
Drain grease; rinse the ground beef if you'd like.
Add potatoes, beef bouillon, salt and pepper and sugar.
Cover with hot water and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender.
Add vegetables and tomatoes and additional hot water if needed; bring back to a boil.

Simmer for 15 minutes or so, then serve with hot cornbread, crackers or your choice of bread.

I use whatever I happen to have on hand for this soup. If I have fresh veggies I want to use I add them according to how long they'll take to cook. If I don't have canned mixed veggies, I use individual cans of green beans, corn, etc.You can also cook this in your crock pot. Just dump everything in and cook on high for 3-6 hours or low 4-8 hours, according to how fast your slow cooker cooks.

(I am posting this recipe because K was asking if I had one because she wanted to make it.)

1 comment: