Sunday, February 22, 2009

A SOUTHERN COMFORT FOOD

Pimento cheese is a comfort food in the South. I am told it only exist in the South, not sure about that. It has long been a staple in the South at picnics, church pot lucks, or as funeral food.
When I was a little girl,I attended a country school for my first four years. Every morning, before school, my mother made me a pimento cheese sandwich to take for lunch and I would buy a carton of chocolate milk from the cafeteria to drink with it. She made the pimento cheese from scratch. Even had to grate the cheese, because you could not buy shredded cheese from the grocery store back in those days.

So, I was excited to find this recipe on another blog. I know that she did not put onion powder, red pepper, or Worcester sauce. But who knows it might still be good with all of that added. I do know for sure that she added sugar.

I need to write my mother and have her write down her recipe for me.



Southern Pimento Cheese

8 ounces extra sharp cheddar
8 ounces American cheese or white cheddar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 ounce jar of whole pimentos
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Dash of onion powder
Dash red pepper

Blend pimentos and cheese in food processor until well blended.
Add dry ingredients and mayonnaise and blend.
Last add Worcestershire sauce.
Add more mayonnaise as needed for preferred consistency.
Scrape sides of bowl to ensure well-blended texture.

There was also a recipe for cooked pimento and cheese, which I have never eaten or even heard of.

Cooked Pimento Cheese

2 tablespoons sugar;
3 tablespoons mayonnaise;
1 small jar pimentos, chopped;
2 tablespoons butter;
1 tablespoon sweet pickle juice;
1/4 cup milk;
1 pound Velveeta cheese

Combine in medium saucepan, all ingredients except pimentos.
Cut cheese into small blocks and let melt over medium heat with other ingredients in saucepan.
When cheese is melted combine pimentos with mixture.
Stir and store in the refrigerator.


No comments:

Post a Comment