Monday, January 31, 2011

IN MEMORY OF MY MOTHER

Early Thursday morning I received that call that I am sure everyone has received at some point in their life or if they haven't, they will.

My cell phone rang at 1 a.m. and I just lay in bed and thought and prayed it was a wrong number. But, then the house phone rang and I heard my brother's name on the caller ID and I knew for sure what had happened. Yes, he was calling to tell me that my mother had just passed away.

She had broken her hip two days before Christmas and had surgery and had developed an infection. She was running a fever, so the nursing home called for an ambulance to take her to the hospital. All the way to the hospital she was alert, but she lost it when they arrived and as they wheeled her into the hospital she took two breaths and that was it.


Then we started trying to make plans for all our family to be at her funeral. Plus I was trying to help my brother make plans for the funeral and I was 9 hours away. We finally decided we would leave Friday morning and stop in Little Rock and pick K and A up. The funeral was to be at 2:00 on Saturday. Then M and T would fly into Little Rock and T would leave Friday afternoon and go to the airport in Little Rock and pick them up and then we would all meet at a hotel in Tupelo, Mississippi. We do not have any family in the town that she was being buried in anymore.

My sister-in-law called on Thursday afternoon and asked if I would go and buy the dress for her to be buried in. I am so thankful that I had T to do that for me.

All her living children were at the funeral and 9 out of her 10 grand kids were present. She also leaves behind 19 great grand children.

I could write many a story about my mother. Maybe I will some day. She had a hard life. She was one special lady.

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss. I look forward to hearing more about your Mom. Sounds like she wsa a pretty amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please accept my condolences, even though you don't know me. My mother passed away 4.5 years ago, and I still miss her, and I have even more respect than ever for her and how she lived! She left behind 49 grandchildren, and her legacy is now growing with her great-grandchildren. I would love to hear some of your memories! I wish you the best..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cheryl! Sorry about the loss of your mom also. I will write some stories about my mother some day but it is just still too soon.

    ReplyDelete